Saturday 28 September 2013

Storybook Saturday: Sleepy Pendoodle

Today I am linking up with Paula Shaw at Paula's Place for Storybook Saturday.


The book I wanted to share with you all today is one of my favourite read-alouds, most suitable for infants classes: Sleepy Pendoodle by Malachy Doyle.

Click here to see it on Amazon.

Beautiful illustrations by Julie Vivas, one of my favourite illustrators, enhance this sweet story of a girl who finds a puppy 'down the alley'. Unfortunately, the pup won't open his eyes, so our hero seeks the help of her Uncle Hughie. Uncle Hughie knows just what to do to get the little pup to open his eyes, but will our hero remember it all when she gets home?

When I was first starting out as a teacher ten years ago, I shared this story with a Year 1 class I was taking for a day. The kids were enthralled with the story, and delighted as the girl got muddled up with her magic words (my personal favourite muddle-up is when she calls her pup 'Sloppy Popwaddle'!) and got confused with what she had to do. When we got to the end of the story, the students were so happy that they applauded! Yep, that's right, they clapped their hands! It is one of my favourite teaching moments of all time. Their joy filled me with joy for one of the most important jobs we do as teachers - we introduce our students to great literature and inspire them to love books. This is why it is so important to use excellent texts with our students, so that their love of reading and books is nurtured.

If you can get your hands on a copy of Sleepy Pendoodle, or if your school library has it, please read it with your students. I have no hesitation in giving it the Little Green guarantee - they will love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment