Monday 4 November 2013

Top 5 Pins of the Week: Understanding Ten Edition

Yep, it's late! And normally, I'd have posted my weekly round-up of terrific pins well before now, but I have a reason for the delay: I've been putting the finishing touches on my most ambitious resource to date - my Understanding Ten pack!


This one has been in the pipeline for quite a while now, so I'm really pleased that it is now complete! To celebrate this resource going live in my TpT store, I've reduced the price (for a limited time only - get in quick!) and I am also dedicating this week's top 5 pins to ideas for teaching this most vital of skills - making and decomposing ten.

5. Pairs to Ten Coat Hanger - Take 1!

Source

As 'no-frills' as this idea looks, the concept is terrific, and so easy to make! All you need is a wire coat-hanger, ten pegs, some card stock, a marker and a stapler. This pin links only to an image, so if this photo is yours, please let me know and I'll give you the glory!

4. Pairs to Ten Coat Hanger - Take 2!

Source

Yep, same concept here, but this one is a bit more swish and comes with a freebie t-shirt template for you to print and use, thanks to Amy at The Kindergarten Center blog! I also like that she has used different-coloured pegs to show the 5-5 breakdown, as this will help to guide student estimations of 'how many'. Thanks Amy!

3. Zip-Loc Bag Addition

Source

Yes, I know, there are only 5 counters in the bag. But think of the possibilities for teaching pairs to ten! By adding 5 more counters, your students will be decomposing ten like nobody's business! Thanks to Jill at Mrs T's First Grade Class blog for this great idea!

2. Monster Addition

Source

Yep, I know, there are a couple of different addition problems here, none of which add to ten. But how cute are these symmetrical little monsters? And who doesn't love googly eyes? No one, that's who! Again, thinking outside the box, this activity could be adapted to allow students to decompose ten on either side of their monster using the googly eyes. This idea is courtesy of the No Time for Flash Cards blog - thanks guys!

1. Shake and Add Addition Centre

Source

This idea is a variation on #3 on our countdown, but I love the additional elements - counting bears and the giant addition sign get a big ol' thumbs up from me! This idea comes from Mr Greg over at the Smedley's Smorgasbord of Kindergarten blog (I'm a big Mr Greg fan - check out his blog if you aren't already a follower!), so thanks Mr Greg!

How do you teach concepts of ten to your students? If you are in need of inspiration, check out the Little Green Pinterest boards for more ideas. If you are looking for resources, be sure to have a look at the Understanding Ten pack over at the Little Green store! 

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment